How Internship Expeditions Work
Apply to join one of Global Treks and Adventures research expeditions. Each research expedition provides students with the unique opportunity to apply their skills in a field setting. Whether traveling by land or sea, research interns will assist in researching and developing a publication to the remote places of the world that we travel to. Each intern is part of a larger team of researchers made up of university instructors, scientists, and other interns working together to develop a dynamic professional publication.
The goal of our internship program is to provide the opportunity for students to apply the skills they have developed in an educational setting to the professional work environment. Interns are provided with opportunities to utilize and further develop their research skills through experiential education. While all interns have core responsibilities connected to their individual projects, they also are expected to support and contribute to the responsibilities and objectives of the rest of the team. The structure of the Global Treks Expeditions is flexible to meet both the needs of each intern’s individual goals as well as the team’s research objectives. Internships may be completed for college credit.
Specific intern assignments and experiences differ depending on the expedition they are part of, the individual’s academic or professional goals, and any university-specific requirements. However, all interns participate in a research expedition to either domestic or international locations, complete literature reviews, participate in research workshops on data collection techniques and the publication process, and daily team meetings.
All internships focus on:
• the development of professional field research skills
• interviewing skills
• the writing, editing and publishing process of a regional field/cultural guide
• expanding leadership skills
• development of technological skills
• collaborative team communication
• developing global citizenship.
By the conclusion of the internship, interns will have the opportunity to work with international communities, develop further cultural and global understandings, adapt to individual and group needs, ensure the safety of the individual and group, and learn to apply outdoor and expeditionary skills.
The Internship Advantage:
Global Treks and Adventures internships are unpaid positions; however, our organization provides each intern with:
- Internship Field Training Program: a series of workshops on field skills and a pathway to employment as an expeditionary leader.
- Career Skill-set Development: all interns work one on one with the leadership team to expand current skill-sets and introduce new techniques for field research.
- Travel: Opportunities to participate in international expeditions to complete field research. Future opportunities to participate in scouting trips with the leadership team for future academic expeditions.
- College credit: interns may choose to apply college credit for their project.
- Interns work alongside dedicated and enthusiastic personnel and are an essential component of the Global Treks family, remaining connected to the Global Treks network upon completion of the internship.
Interns are not required to possess any specific certifications in order to be considered or retain an internship with Global Treks and Adventures, LLC. However, interns wishing to apply for a future paid position within the organization will be required to complete Wilderness Advanced First Aid or Wilderness First Responder Training. All certifications must be current and renewed within 2 years while working with Global Treks expeditions.