How Internship Expeditions Work
Apply to join one of Global Treks and Adventures research expeditions. Each research expedition provides students with the unique opportunity to apply their skills in a field setting. Whether traveling by land or sea, research interns will assist in researching and developing a publication to the remote places of the world that we travel to. Each intern is part of a larger team of researchers made up of university instructors, scientists, and other interns working together to develop a dynamic professional publication.
The goal of our internship program is to provide the opportunity for students to apply the skills they have developed in an educational setting to the professional work environment. Interns are provided with opportunities to utilize and further develop their research skills through experiential education. While all interns have core responsibilities connected to their individual projects, they also are expected to support and contribute to the responsibilities and objectives of the rest of the team. The structure of the Global Treks Expeditions is flexible to meet both the needs of each intern’s individual goals as well as the team’s research objectives. Internships may be completed for college credit.
Specific intern assignments and experiences differ depending on the expedition they are part of, the individual’s academic or professional goals, and any university-specific requirements. However, all interns participate in a research expedition to either domestic or international locations, complete literature reviews, participate in research workshops on data collection techniques and the publication process, and daily team meetings.
All internships focus on:
• the development of professional field research skills
• interviewing skills
• the writing, editing and publishing process of a regional field/cultural guide
• expanding leadership skills
• development of technological skills
• collaborative team communication
• developing global citizenship.
By the conclusion of the internship, interns will have the opportunity to work with international communities, develop further cultural and global understandings, adapt to individual and group needs, ensure the safety of the individual and group, and learn to apply outdoor and expeditionary skills.
The Internship Advantage:
Global Treks and Adventures internships are unpaid positions; however, our organization provides each intern with:
- Internship Field Training Program: a series of workshops on field skills and a pathway to employment as an expeditionary leader.
- Career Skill-set Development: all interns work one on one with the leadership team to expand current skill-sets and introduce new techniques for field research.
- Travel: Opportunities to participate in international expeditions to complete field research. Future opportunities to participate in scouting trips with the leadership team for future academic expeditions.
- College credit: interns may choose to apply college credit for their project.
- Interns work alongside dedicated and enthusiastic personnel and are an essential component of the Global Treks family, remaining connected to the Global Treks network upon completion of the internship.
Interns are not required to possess any specific certifications in order to be considered or retain an internship with Global Treks and Adventures, LLC. However, interns wishing to apply for a future paid position within the organization will be required to complete Wilderness Advanced First Aid or Wilderness First Responder Training. All certifications must be current and renewed within 2 years while working with Global Treks expeditions.
GLOBAL TREKS AND ADVENTURES LLC PRIDES ITSELF IN FOLLOWING FEDERAL FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT FOR INTERNSHIPS. THE FOLLOW DESCRIBES THE PRIMARY BENEFICIARY OF THIS RELATIONSHIP:
- Internships with Global Treks and Adventure are designed to provide real world training similar to that provided in an educational environment, including the clinical and other hands-on training provided by the intern’s educational institution. Our field research interns take the skill-sets they have learned in the classroom and apply them to real-world settings.
- Internships with Global Treks and Adventure are designed to comport with the intern’s formal education program by integrating coursework or the receipt of academic credit.
- Internships with Global Treks and Adventure are designed to accommodate the intern’s academic commitments by corresponding to the intern’s academic calendar. Field research opportunities correspond with academic breaks, taking advantage of the time available to travel to our field research locations.
- Internships with Global Treks and Adventure are limited in duration for the purpose of providing the intern with beneficial learning.
- Internships with Global Treks and Adventure are designed to ensure the intern’s individualized academic studies complement, rather than displace, the work of Global Treks and Adventure’s paid employees while providing significant educational benefits to the intern.
- Interns participating in Global Treks and Adventure’s Internship Program expressly understand and agree that their participation therein is without entitlement to and/or any expectation of a paid job at the conclusion of their internship. While former interns have continued to work with Global Treks following their internship experience, Global Treks and Adventures disclaims any promise of a paid job at the conclusion of an internship, express or implied.
- All internships with Global Treks and Adventure are unpaid with the intern expressly understanding and agreeing that they have no expectation of any monetary compensation. Global Treks and Adventures disclaims any promise of compensation, express or implied.